Shell Funded Advanced Standing Deck Cadet Calvin recently completed a 5 week deployment on the Emergency Towing Vessel Coral Knight.
Coral Knight Vessel
Coral Knight is an anchor handling tug supply vessel modified to fulfil the role of AMSA’s dedicated emergency towage vessel (ETV). This is the only ETV of its type in Australia and operates in the particularly sensitive sea areas of the northern Great Barrier Reef and Torres Strait.
The vessel is also equipped to respond to other maritime incidents such as search and rescue or limiting the effects of ship-sourced pollution of the sea and carries oil pollution response equipment.
Also while patrolling in its areas of responsibility Coral Knight is engaged in maintaining the aids to navigation network.
During the period Calvin has:
- Formed part of the Bridge Navigation Team holding watches under the supervision of the Master and other deck officers, whilst additionally focusing on calculating compass errors, passage planning and updating of electronic charts & publications;
- Assisted the Chief Officer and Second Officer in vessel maintenance, LSA & FFA inspections and other various shipboard duties such as anchoring, lifting operations, boat work, etc.
- Been involved in the AtoN maintenance conducted at Arden Island, Sugar Ran Reef, Smith Cay, Kirkcaldie Reef, Sue Islet, Ackers Shoal, Newman Reef, Caldbeck Reef, North West Reef, Clerke Island and Creech Reef;
- Taken part in Marine Pollution, Salvage and Fire Fighting equipment operation and training;
- Completed various subjects/tasks in his understudy of Navigational watch tag book;
- Lastly was involved in the process of installation and commissioning of a new 12t Knuckle Boom Off-Shore Crane.
“All has been going well it has been great having Calvin on-board - he’s motivated and has performed well” Coral Knight Captain Andrew.
On behalf of Shell & KT Maritime we would like to thank Teekay and the crew on board the Coral Knight for providing a training berth on this 5 week swing and supporting this successful Indigenous Trainee & Cadet Partnership Program.
- Client: Shell funded collaboration with KT Maritime Services Australia and Atlas Professionals
- Project Duration: 9 July 2018 - 1 December 2020
- Location: Broom, Western Australia
- Services: Indigenous Trainee and Cadet Partnership Program
If you would like further information about this partnership or have a berth available for a Deck Cadet or Trainee Integrated Rating please Lauren Jakson, Atlas Professionals:firstname.lastname@example.org